BIPOC Women and LGBTQIA+ rights
- How the fight against police brutality helped ignite the LGBTQ-Rights Movement
“I had a brief moment before I spoke where I was looking out over the crowd, and I never imagined seeing that many people gathering specifically for Black transgender people.”
- Raquel Willis, Activist and writer
- Life through the lens of the Black trans woman
“We stand together as the Black community, except when it comes to the injustice being done to Black LGBTQIA+ folks. [...] As a Black trans woman, I find myself playing third fiddle to a multitude of issues seen as more important than my own.”
- Hope Giselle, Activist, author, and artist
The History of Pride
- Pride and Stonewall - Learn about the history of Stonewall and the black trans activists who made it happen.
- Pride Beyond Borders - Did you know Seattle has one of the nation's longest running Pride events in the country?
Stories from and about the LGBTQIA+ community
- A Trans Model Fleeing the ‘Trap of Respectability’ - Philippina model Geena Rocero shares her experience living and working as a trans beauty queen and model.
- The Trans Joy Missing From Media Coverage and Legislation - Gender euphoria and joy in the face of anti-trans legislation.
- Gender diversity before colonization: Muxes and Mexico - Learn about Muxes, a long recognized group often referred to as a third gender within the indigenous Zapotec people of Mexico.
- Finding our Joy: Trans Day of Visibility 2023 - A celebration of trans joy in article and video format, featuring voices from the community for Trans Day of Visibility 2023.
- COVID’s invisible toll on Seattle’s trans community - See how COVID-19 disproportionately affected the queer community in Seattle and beyond.
If you want to join the fight for equity, make sure to sign up for YWCA's monthly newsletter.
We share the stories of our program participants, programs, and staff, as well as news about the agency and what’s happening in our King and Snohomish community.