Our vision is that young womxn of color receive the support, inspiration, opportunities, and skills to realize their full potential and to lead meaningful lives. Thus, our free, year-round program includes:
- After-school programs centered around project-based learning
- Tutoring and homework help
- Summer and spring break camps
- Weekend field trips
- Service learning opportunities
- Paid summer internships at GirlsFirst partner companies
Our curriculum incorporates community building, social-emotional learning, and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts/design, and mathematics) activities. Our program upholds the strength of people, families, and communities of color and believe those strengths should be cherished and celebrated. Through thoughtful curriculum creation and implementation, GirlsFirst is dedicated to creating programming that is strengths-based and racially equitable.
- Experience personal self-discovery, growth, and positive identity development
- Have access to numerous academic and professional opportunities
- Build a strong network of support that follows them throughout high school
- Develop skills to help them navigate and succeed in various systems while maintaining their ethnic, cultural, and racial pride
Want to Join?
GirlsFirst is currently offered after-school at four Seattle high schools:
- Rainier Beach High School: Mondays & Wednesdays (Room 111)
- Franklin High School: Mondays & Wednesdays (Room 105)
- Garfield High School: Tuesdays & Thursdays (Room 232)
- Cleveland High School: Tuesdays & Thursdays (Room 1212)
Download our application on the right-hand side or just come visit!
Support this program
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how to donate and/or volunteer.
YWCA GirlsFirst is open to female-identified and gender non-conforming students of color. Students with the desire and potential for leadership and excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.