Central Area Food Bank
The YWCA Central Area Food Pantry provides food to individuals and families in Washington State, focusing on Central and South Seattle. We believe having enough food to eat is a fundamental right and we work to provide client-focused services to people of all backgrounds, founded in respect.
We strive to provide culturally responsive food and our weekly offering will typically include a protein, a grain, fresh fruits and vegetables, and some dairy. Options for vegetarian/vegan, Halal, Kosher and diabetic clients are often available. Baby and Toddler items, and personal hygiene are available on a limited basis.
For those who cannot make it on Wednesdays, there is a walk-up Food Pantry accessible 24/7 that gets filled with shelf-stable foods several times a week (typically on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
YWCA Central Area Food Bank Client Responsibilities:
- Be considerate of personal space – COVID is still with us so please allow 6 feet of space between yourself and others. Masking is optional but recommended while on premises.
- Be respectful of others – Abusive language and behavior, fights, and aggression of any kind are not allowed. Anyone engaging in these behaviors will be sent home with a pre-packed bag of food. Repeat offenders will have their services suspended.
- Help keep everyone safe – For any safety issues, please notify staff or a volunteer immediately.
- Please respect our neighbors – They are huge supporters of our food bank and we want to show our gratitude. No trash, no loitering in their yards, and help us keep noise levels down.
- Do not come early and line up – We will have enough food for everyone.
- Bring your own bags if you can – If you do not have a bag, one will be provided.
The Central Area Food Bank is located at YWCA Phillis Wheatley Branch. Our entrance is behind the main building on 29th Ave. between E. Cherry & E. Columbia. On bus lines #3 & #8 and near bus lines #2, #4 & #48.
- In-person shopping: Wednesday 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM.
- Walk-up free pantry is stocked on: Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Fridays.
Donations for the food bank are accepted Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM, or by appointment. You can also leave items in the Little Free Pantry to the right of our gate.
Food pantry clients are eligible to receive of food once a week by visiting our food pantry on Wednesdays between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. New clients will need to register for their first visit, and returning clients will need to check in before receiving services.